MSN 10 Information
November 30, 2009
- Information about MSN version(10.0) was posted on November 24, 2009 in the Microsoft Public Newsgroup – Microsoft.Public.Msn.Discussion (see ‘More Information’ section below)
- MSN software was formerly referred to as MSN Explorer
- Subject: MSN Explorer 10 Official Release Notice
- The posting source was Berit Benson, Community Leader – MSN Internet Access and is quoted below.
MSN Explorer Version 10 (MSN 10) has been released for MSN retail customers in the United States. International and partner versions are still in the development process. If you are currently running MSN 9.6, then you will be automatically updated to MSN 10 within the upcoming weeks. For new installs, please go to http://membercenter.msn.com and click the Download Now link. MSN 10 runs on the following versions of Windows – 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP (32 bit only), Vista (32 bit /64 bit) and Windows 7 (32 bit/64 bit).
New features in MSN 10:
– Integrated e-mail spell checker for XP, Vista and Windows 7.
– Quick Web Access (QWA) allows you to surf the web while MSN 10 completes the sign-in process. For new installs, QWA is enabled by default. Customers who receive MSN 10 through the auto-update process will not have this enabled by default. QWA can be easily enabled/disabled from the sign in screen.
– New video player for the dashboard. Add the player by clicking the username at the top of the dashboard and choosing Video. This option is not enabled by default.
– The search buttons have been updated to Bing.
Items that have been removed or changed:
– The “Encarta” button has been changed to “Reference” and includes a dictionary, thesaurus and translations.
– The calendar task list has been removed from the dashboard since it was part of the former MSN Calendar service.
– Search box on the dashboard has been moved to a fixed position at the top of the dashboard.
– Messenger is no longer a requirement for signing into MSN Explorer. If Messenger is installed, MSN Explorer will work with it in the same manner as before and show your contacts and their online status.
Notable bug fixes:
– The main cause for ‘Error 235’ while installing/uninstalling has been addressed. Note: this error code may still display if a firewall or anti-virus is preventing MSN Explorer from accessing the internet.
– New windows not displaying the navigation bar has been fixed
– Unable to download certain file types such as .csv or .pdf has been fixed
Behind the scenes changes:
Previously, in order to add or remove features from the dashboard or navigation bar it was necessary to release an entirely new version of MSN Explorer. With MSN 10, we now have the ability to update the dashboard and
the navigation bar without requiring a full update of MSN Explorer. Now that we have enabled this functionality, you can expect additional new features to be delivered to MSN 10 over the next year.
Community Leader, MSN Internet Access/MSN Explorer
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.</qp>
- The Microsoft ‘public.msn.discussion’ Nntp/Http newsgroup and server was offficially closed in Oct 2010.
- Unable to delete Dashboard Bing History (by design last 5 items are retained). See the following link for discussion on a work-around and a beta tool currently being evaluated. -> ‘ How to delete dashboard Bing history ‘
- Partner Versions(e.g. Qwest) [at the time of this publication] are not available for download or distribution and still in the development process.
Nov 28, 2009: Original Draft Date
Nov 30, 2009: Original Publish Date
Jan 15, 2010: Updated for Known Issues, embedded Hyperlinks, and Tags
Dec 31, 2010: Updated ‘More Information’ section to search MSN content on Google Groups