Windows Live Profile – Private Message Feature Discontinued
April 23, 2011 2 Comments
- Effective April 21, 2011 the ‘Private Message’ option on a user’s (Live ID) Windows Live Profile was discontinued
- Effective May 2011 the Live Profile Private Message stand-alone page will cease to exist
Information regarding the discontinuance of this feature and a recommendation to copy existing private messages for archival purposes are visible/accessible from the user’s Live ID Profile.
1. Windows Live Profile (when attempting to send a private message to a contact/friend)
2. Windows Live Profile Private Message page
- As of April 22, 2011 12:00am PST information on the above noted policy change does not appear to be present on the Windows Live Solution Center ‘Live Profile Portal’
- This change does not appear to impact the ability for receiving permissioned ‘Comments’ (Who can contact me) to ‘Messenger Social ‘ updates on the user’s Profile
- Contact via email, instant message, or invitation is still available provided the Live ID is permissioned accordingly.
- This change (removal of Private Messaging in the web user interface) coincides with the removal of the ability to create and/or reply to ‘Notes’ on a Windows Live Profile. For more detailed information on the ‘Notes’ see this related article ‘Windows Live Profile – Notes Discontinued
April 22, 2011: Original Published (draft)
April 23, 2011: Published and updated comments to add link for ‘Windows Live Profile – Noted Discontinued’