Windows Essentials 2012– Installer File Officially Removed from Microsoft Servers
March 26, 2017
Summary: Microsoft officially removed the ability to download the Windows Essentials 2012 Full Version installer file from their servers.
- Last week Microsoft officially discontinued the ability for end-users to obtain(download) the Full version installation file for Windows Essentials 2012. (The web version installer was removed some time ago)
- The removal of the installer file has been expected since Microsoft ended all support for Windows Essentials 2012 in January 10, 2017. Windows Live Essentials 2011 and 2009 installer files were removed and ceased support quite some time ago.
- End of support means no further updates(patches/fixes/compatibility), no security updates, no Junk Mail filter updates, and no support for use on current Microsoft supported operating systems(Windows 7/8.1/10)
- The Windows Essential 2012 installer file may be available from other avenues(friends, third party sources) though caution is warranted from obtaining installation files from outside sources.
- [Editor note: Not recommended and proceed at your own risk]
- It would be prudent, if still using a Windows Essentials 2012 products(Mail, PhotoGallery/Movie Maker, Writer) to consider investigating and/or switching to an alternative program for your computing needs and experience.
- Continued use of Photo Gallery(which is primarily a Photo Viewing application with some editing capability) may be acceptable from a risk standpoint
- Open Live Writer, compliments of Microsoft, a replacement for Writer remains available as an open source program and has been since 2015
- Windows Live Mail and its continued use as a mail/news client is feasible but do note that no future security updates will ever be released for the product(nor have any been released for some time) or definition updates for its built-in Junk Mail filter thus always practice safe computing when opening/previewing email and ensure a resident Anti-virus/Anti-malware client is running on your chosen operating system(e.g. Windows Defender on Windows 10)
- It would also be a good idea to consider archiving any important data to an external source outside of Windows Essential application programs(e.g. email messages and Contacts exported/backed-up to an external thumb or hard drive).
- FYI – The Windows Essentials suite of products (fka Windows Live Essentials) had a lifespan of just short of 10 years(first released in May 2007 as ‘Windows Live Installer’ comprising of the unified(web based) installers for Messenger, Mail, and Writer)
March 24, 2017: Initial Draft Date
March 26, 2017: Initial Publish Date