- Nested Folders(Subfolders), folders inside of folders, are available for all Windows Live Hotmail type accounts
- Windows Live Hotmail ‘type accounts’ are accounts of the form Hotmail.com, Live.com, Msn.com and other country specific derivatives of the same domains(e.g.– Hotmail.co.uk, Hotmail.de, Live.nl, Live.fr, Msn.ca, etc.)
- Nested Folders(Subfolders) can be created for Hotmail type accounts in the Hotmail web interface
- Nested Folders(Subfolders) can be created for Hotmail type accounts in Windows Live Mail
- Nested Folders(Subfolders) can be created inside of any folder(new or existing folders/subfolders including the Deleted folder) in the Hotmail web interface ( http://mail.live.com or http://hotmail.com )
- Nested Folders(Subfolders) can be created inside of any folder(new or existing folders/subfolders except the root Deleted Items folder) in Windows Live Mail
- Nested Folders(Subfolders) for Hotmail type accounts synchronize between the Hotmail web interface and Windows Live Mail client(in either direction). Synchronization in Windows Live Mail requires the Hotmail account to be configured to use the Http/DeltaSync protocol, not Pop3).
- Nested Folders(Subfolders) can not be moved from one folder to another folder in the Hotmail web interface
- Nested Folders(Subfolders) can be moved from one folder to another folder in Windows Live Mail
1. Inside Windows Live
More Hotmail Updates on the way
Organize and find important email with Subfolders
If you like to use folders to organize your important emails and find them more quickly later, you have something in common with nearly 100 million other Hotmail “filers”. The new Hotmail lets you create folders inside of folders to more precisely manage your email, making it easier to quickly find an important message you’ve filed away.
2. Windows Live Solution Center
Nested Folders (Sub folders) in Windows Live Hotmail
Customers will be able to create nested folders (sub folders) under their new/existing folders and also synchronize their sub folders that already exist in their mail clients with Hotmail web experience.
Points to remember:
• Nested folders can be created inside of any folder, including the Deleted items folder.
• When a folder is deleted, Hotmail will move all the messages in the folder and any sub folders of the folder into Deleted items and permanently delete the folders.
• A sub folder cannot be moved from one parent folder to another parent folder
The following illustrates creation of a top level folder(Friends) and nested subfolders within the ‘Friends’ folder
- Logon to the Hotmail web interface with a Hotmail type account Live ID
- To create the top level folder → Click ‘New folder’
- Enter a name for the folder in the ‘Folder Name’ field (e.g. Friends) then click ‘Save’
- To create the nested folder (subfolder) → Click ‘New folder’, enter a ‘Folder Name’ for the nested folder(subfolder) [e.g. Alice], then scroll and select ‘Friends’ in the ‘Create in:’ option, finally Click ‘Save’
- If desired, repeat the above steps to create additional subfolders(see below pic)
Hotmail type accounts in Windows Live Mail after Synchronization:
- Folders and Nested Folders(Subfolders) created in the Hotmail web interface will be mirrored in the respective Windows Live Hotmail account when setup in Windows Live Mail (Version 2011 and 2009)
- Likewise, Folders and Nested Folders(Subfolders) created in Windows Live Mail will be mirrored in the Hotmail web interface
Note: For the above to occur the Hotmail account must be setup and configured to use the Http (DeltaSync) Protocol. Folder synchronization between the Hotmail web interface and the Hotmail account in Windows Live Mail(or vice versa) is not possible if the Hotmail account is setup/configured for the Pop3 protocol.
- Unlike the Hotmail web interface, existing folders/nested folders(subfolders) can be moved(relocated) to other folders in Windows Live Mail(2011 and 2009). To move an existing user created folder or nested folder in Windows Live Mail, select a folder and drag it to the new location.
- Side by Side Comparison (Hotmail and Windows Live Mail)
Sept 24, 2010: Created original draft
Nov 18, 2010: Original Publish Date
Clubhouse Tags: Clubhouse, How-To, Hotmail, Hotmail Plus, Mail, Windows Live